"Friends of the Wilderness Poster." 1949, Minnesota Historical Society
Boundary Waters Canoe Area
Spanning over one million acres in northern Minnesota, the Boundary Waters Canoe Area was established in 1978. Conservation efforts of the area began as early as 1902 to protect the area from being sold for development and eventually led to the creation of the Superior National Forest. When the Wilderness Act was signed in 1964, regulations on the use of motorboats and snowmobiles were put in place, leading to controversy about the recreation area. The law remained in place and many of the regulations from 1964 are still in effect with the BWCA seeing more than 250,000 a year.